The Great Pyrenees Club of America welcomes you to our Health Website.
This site is designed to help bring current information to GPCA Members, owners of Great Pyrenees, and to those who wish to learn more about Great Pyrenees. There are many points within this site that will direct you or link you to other websites. On those sites you may find ads for products and services. Please be aware that a link to another site for information contained therein does not constitute an endorsement by GPCA of those products or services.
Our Special Gratitude to Our Donors
On behalf of the GPCA Health Committee we acknowledge our members and friends who have been so generous in their donations. We have dedicated a special section to express our gratitude in assisting us in maintaining the health of our beloved breed.
- Sept 23, 2011 – Osteosarcoma research for dogs shows benefit towards new treatments in both canines and children with this agressive disease. Check back here next month for a full report on a study partially funded by the GPCA Health Committee.
- Jun 6, 2011 – Our new store items! Shop early and often. Each purchase of $25.00 earns you a raffle ticket for a beautifu original oil. See below!
- Winner of our 2010/2011 raffle item — an original stained glass heart with Pyr by Pat Wallace — is Cheryl Grimshaw. Congratulations! don't miss out on a chance — go to our Online Store for a chance to win.
- Apr 24, 2011 – A new report out from the Institute of Medicine on Lyme Disease and other Tick-borne zoonotic illnesses available online.
- Apr 12 , 2011 – Congratulations to Nancy Wood Taber and Ch. Calurian Ailo Mountain Sage, HOF, RA, DD, CGC — our newest Champion for Health! Shouldn't your special dog be next? Find out about the OFA Champion for Health Program.
Other News in Canine Health
The FDA has some useful information on purchasing your pet medicines online.
There is also a new pain medication for your pet. If your dog or other companion animal has had trouble taking the standard pain meds available, or if you would like to consider another approach to pain control, there is a new pain control product based on ancient Chinese medicine. It is derived from a snake venom.
Don't forget to check the Genome Barks Podcasts for the latest news in canine health issues.
At your next vet visit ask about new canine flu vaccines. You and your pet both need a flu shot every year!
Up-to-date information on pet food recalls, new drugs approved for veterinary medicine or links to pet health research and other resources from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Please check this important info on flea & tick control products from the EPA.